Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dad's 61st Surprise Birthday


This wonderful, sweet, loving man..my dad..turned 61 on Saturday, September 6th. We celebrated with a surprise Mexican fiesta honoring him. Last year on this exact date, September 6, 2007, we did not celebrate his 60th birthday. My mother had a stroke on that very day. I don't even think I told dad happy birthday and certainly didn't recognize that he was entering a new decade. So, this year we went all out and he was totally surprised!! Dad, I hope you had a very special day and know how much we all love you.
My sister and I hosted the party at our family's lake house.

Location: McCoy Lake house~Caddo Lake

Menu:

Beef & Chicken fajitas~Homemade salsa~Seven layer dip~Queso~& all the fixins

Homemade apple pie and ice cream(dad's favorite)


Warning...this post has tons of pictures:
Decorations:
My sister, Tonya, lives in San Antonio and has access to an abundance of cute Mexican decor that is CHEAP. We put flowers on each table with pictures of dad and a sombrero or two. Also, a few maracas thrown in for good measure.

Hot tamales..a party must have. Don't they look adorable in the clear vase???
Fun paper mache flowers wrapped around the silverware & napkinI love the vibrant color scheme.
This is our resident alligator holding mums. The lake house is on Alligator Bayou.
Sweet baby boy waiting on his Poppa to arrive
Dad truly was surprised. This was the first surprise party I've thrown and I'm proud it was a success. The anticipation was fun!!
Chef Dane grilling the fajitas
Ton, our cousin Lacey, & I decked out in our Mexican attire

BaBa & Brooksie headed down to the lake to throw rocks
Dad with his two son-in-laws & grandson

My grandparents, Mimi & Papa, with our lake house neighbors/friends Bob & Beverly, and Dale

Uncle Greg sporting a flower...they truly served many purposes

Aren't they a cute bunch

B needed to help his Poppa open all of the presents.

5 comments:

The Garners said...

Looks like y'all threw the perfect party--wow!! Everything looks so fun! I know your Dad loved every minute of it!

The Richards said...

With you 2 as hostesses it was a great shin-dig, no doubt!
Happy Birthday!

The Keltons said...

What a great looking party. I am sure you all had so much fun. Happy Birthday Phil!!

In His Army said...

What a great looking party--looks perfect! Happy (belated) birthday to your dad!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it was a great party, although I knew it would be. I loved all the pictures! It was a bday your dad will never forget!