Thursday, April 23, 2009

Welcoming committee

Long month of no blogging for the boyer bunch...we've been a movin!! So, now that we are settling in to the new place, becoming comfortable in our new surroundings, a surprise visitor decides to come on over. You can see what happens when this momma feels the hairs on the back of her neck rise and the urgent need to protect her offspring...


"Mr. garter snake or ribbon snake(did a little on-line research), so sorry you chose to slither onto our porch while Brooks and I were trying to play a little golf."

Proof that I killed him. Isn't it necessary to put on JCrew, green with pink flamingo rain boots when one is in snake killing mode???
Let me paint a clear picture of how this went down:
Brooks and I had just gotten home from running errands. We had a few minutes before nap time and he wanted to go into the backyard to hit golf balls. He and Jax went outside, left the porch door open, which we do quite often, took his clubs and golf balls out of the toy chest, and started playing. I was unloading a few things from the car..back door is wide open...snake could have come into our HOME!!! I made my way outside, shut the door, and walked into the yard. Then turn around to sit in one of the chairs on the porch and there he is slithering along where Brooks and I had just walked. He came out from behind the toy chest and scurried under the grill. I scooped Brooks up, headed inside to call Bryan, got his voicemail, and put on my boots. B was in a meeting, so I called my dad. I got the broom out and hit the grill a few times to get the snake to come out. Then started screaming when he decides to come out. Dad gets on the phone and starts rattling off questions, what color is it, how long is it, etc.
*My family has a history of snake encounters that have not turned out to well. Dad was bitten by a copperhead(poisonous/aggressive snake)on the palm of his hand. Bryan's mom was bitten by a rattlesnake on her pinky finger. So, we take this seriously.*
The snake had moved onto the door stoop off of the master bedroom and is watching me. Dad tells me to go get a hoe, remove the snake from the stoop, stand back as far as I can, and hit it hard. Then, he gives me a little pep talk and says to call him after I'm finished. After a quick prayer, I did it!! I killed my first and hopefully only snake...
And I must mention that this entire time Brooks is mad as fire/screaming that I made him stop playing golf, come inside, and wait until I've killed the snake. Multitasking at it's finest...

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I am impressed...I think I would of run and hid and waited for Mike to get home! Way to go:)

KarenFarner said...

You go girl!!! My family has a bad history with snakes too. Luckily I haven't had to hoe one down, but I've seen it done a many a time! :)

Tonya said...

Yikes!!! You get that skillfull snake killin ability from Dad. Remember the time Mom & I were out back at their house and saw a snake. She ran inside super fast with the dog and locked the door behind her. I had to beat on the door for her to let me in! HA-HA! All those years living in the country paid off. I probably would have called 911!

Anonymous said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing but this is hysterical! I can just see you in your rainboots swinging like mad to kill the little sucker. I'm glad it wasn't me!!

The Garners said...

SO IMPRESSED!

Love the title of this post. And the rain boots--at least you killed that snake in style! :)

The Keltons said...

Way to go! I am so glad you were able to kill it and no one was hurt. Hope I never have to kill one.

Flo and Grace said...

That was my main concern when we bought our land...that I'd wake up, open our front door and ta-da!!!

You're my hero...I'd of run for cover and never looked back!

Liz said...

I love your rain boots! Too cute!

When Larry & I lived in Jacksonville, we lived in this old farm house out in the country, in the middle of 30 acres of trees. It was a gorgeous house & the scenery outside was beautiful (despite the fact that it was murder on my allergies/asthma). One night I was in the kitchen when I heard the Walmart sack on the floor rattle. (I don't know why there was a sack on the floor!) I looked down to see a copperhead slithering across it. In that moment I couldn't remember if you were supposed to stand real still or run to get away from a snake, but decided to go with the running thing. I went & woke Larry up (he was already gone to bed) and told him to GO KILL THE SNAKE! We still laugh about him in there in his underwear whacking at the snake with a hoe that he had me go get off the front porch. Every time he'd hit at the thing, he'd miss & it would hiss and raise up like it was going to strike. I think we both ended up standing in the same dining room chair squealing like little girls. ha ha!! We moved not too long after that!

Thank goodness you got the snake before it got to you. :) Way to go, Snake Hunter!

The Richards said...

MOVE OVER PIONEER WOMAN!!!!
p.s. Can I start calling Bryan Marlboro Man?

Hola Lola said...

Hey Heather. I just discovered yall have a blog. What a great way to keep up. Quite a story here. I have a HUGE phobia of snakes so never could have done what you did. I'm hoping you took the picture of the snake post axing. Otherwise, you are very calm (and obviously talented) to be able to snap a pic and them axe the snake. Good job...I would have taken off running and never looked back.

Hope yall are well!!!